Right now, it's still in the hobby/special events phase.... but I see it getting bigger (and maybe at some point profitable!).
I enjoy baking and I've always loved baking special treats for my family, friends, coworkers, etc on their birthdays or other fun events.
Um, I also like alcohol.
So as 2009 finally rolled around and I was filling my weekends with bachelorette parties, I was trying to think of what I could contribute that would be different, fun and of course, delicious!
My first attempt was in March, where I decided to make the Irish Carbomb Cupcakes I saw on Smitten Kitchen. I almost followed this recipe exactly - except I used 2x the whiskey and baileys in both the ganache and frosting. I just kept on adding until I could actually taste the liquor - I'm sorry, but 2 Tbl is 2 little for me!
I decorated half the batch for my friend Tricia's bachelorette party and the second half I brought out to the bars for St. Patrick's Day (I was that girl that brought tupperware to the pub!). These were delicious and suuuuch a hit! My friends that got married are both proud of their Irish roots and actually honeymooned in Dublin so this flavor really was fitting for them (not just the holiday right around the corner!)
Oh right, I also made the bachelorette ones "minis" so they were more like cupcake shots!
Thennn when I was planning my best friend's bachelorette party as her MOH, I wanted to make sure I blew her away with some awesome boozy cupcakes. Knowing that she loves fruity drinks (but not coconut!) and white wine... I made two flavors.
Blue Hawaiian and White Wine Sangria cupcakes!
I made both of these recipes up and kind of just played around while in the midst of everything, so I'm still working on writing up the final recipe. But one of them was a riesling mango cupcake, with a riesling-soaked peach filling and peach schnapps frosting.
The Blue Hawaiians were a pineapple dark rum cupcake with a pineapple rum curd filling and blue curacao frosting! These were a little too sweet for me - def could not have more than 1. I also love the riesling cupcakes - just the cake part. They were really refreshing!
Just this past weekend, I had another blette (they don't stop!). My friend Candice is your typical hyper, crazy and over-caffeinated high school spanish teacher. She is NUTS. I know my Senorita Brown loves margaritas so that's what I went for. It also gave me an excuse to restock some tequila...
Mmmy Strawberry Margarita cupcakes. OHMYGOD. This frosting was TAHHH DIE FORRRR. I got V. tipsy sampling it ; )
I actually used a box mix as my cupcake base (strawberry cake mix + jose cuervo strawberry margarita mix + jose cuervo tequila... and some eggs, veggie oil, blah blah) and the frosting was your typical creamy mixture of butter and confectioner sugar plus LOTS of tequila, and for these babies also lime juice and lime zest. YUM. I played around with my roommate's samples with some salt on top which wasn't bad. But I kept it sweet for Candice's supply. But I think rock salt would be worth looking into.
I'm putting a batch together for one of my roomie's this weekend as she is heading to a Jimmy Buffett concert and we both agreed, these are absolutely necessary for tailgating Parrot-head style!!
If you live in the Northeast and want to order some deliciouso Boozy Cupcakes, let me know! I'm open to any style cocktail...
After all this sugar consumption, I've got some veggies to tend to now...

2 comments:
Looks like good 'food' for the parties!!
cupcakes!!!!!
Post a Comment